Written to help you take back control of your food supply, the basic life-giving force that sustains you from day to day, it offers instruction in getting your food from farm to fork with little dependence on electricity, transportation, or processing!
* Over 270 recipes for making meals from scratch using basic foods
* Separate chapters for stove top and baked dishes to accommodate different non-electric cooking appliances
* Cooking and Nutrition primers to give you the basic understanding needed to begin eating off the grid
* Recipe nutrition information and exchanges provided for diabetics and others with special dietary needs
* Complete ingredient and utensil lists to cover all recipes, so you can be sure you'll have everything on hand
* Sample four-week meal plan and accompanying food list for a family of four, along with guidelines to help you create your own meal plans
* Suggestions on how much and what to store for a full year supply
Author Denise Hansen is a registered dietitian with research experience in basic food diets. She has taught college courses in food science, food preparation and preservation, and nutrition. Besides her professional experience, she has over twenty years experience in the kitchen "trenches," growing, storing and cooking basic foods for her family. This unique combination in the author gives the cook the greatest success. She has written each recipe carefully to give you all the details needed for best results, and explains the hows and whys.
Publisher: Subito Services (June 1, 1999)